Saturday, June 26, 2010

Play Me, I'm Yours!

So, yesterday, I hear about a composer doing a free impromptu concert in the lincoln center plaza.  If it's free, it's for me, I'll take three!  I hop on the F and I'm so sure that it will take me right to lincoln center plaza.  wrong!  (can we have a discussion about how just in one month i have forgotten the transit system, so sad) so i end up walking about a mile to get there and i'm late, and looking around, and i see a piano, free for the playing.  currently there is a person sitting at the piano playing a soaring piece and a beautiful operatic soprano singing this aria!  I'm enthralled, even though i know this is not the composer I came to see. 

I sit here for a while.  the soprano leaves, people meander by, some tinkling with it a little, and then and older woman, her husband and her granddaughter walk by.  the older woman sits down and starts playing so beautifully!  When she stops we are all clapping, she gives a shy shrug and leaves.  i hear a women nearby say that there are 60 pianos planted all over the city, just for people to sit down and play!  It's part of Sing For Hope , an amazing and inspiring project.  There are even some pianos in Brooklyn, and you better believe that until July 5 (that's when the project ends) I will be where these pianos are!  Who's with me?

next time i'll have pictures!

No comments: