Thursday, July 31, 2008

the pros and cons of living alone

i live alone, in a small studio.  i like it.  after having roommates (great ones, good ones and bad ones) for 5 years, it's nice.  some things, however, you don't actually know about yourself until you live alone.

  • for one, sometimes i long to be touched so much, that i wanna snuggle up to the warm body sitting next to me on the bus.  and today i really wish i had someone to hug.  this also brings to my attention just how little we touch people outside of our homes.  besides the baby that i smother with kisses, no one at any of my jobs so much as pats me on the back.  it's been days since i had a real hug.  i don't think you should be allowed to go 24 hours without a hug, but maybe i'm just a sucker for physical affection. 
  • also, i realize just how much i really enjoy nudity.
  • another saddening realization is this; if i died no one would know for days. i'm not really morbid or depressed.  and i don't think that my sudden unannounced absence would go unnoticed.  i just think that my employers, who are the only people who see me everyday, would just think that i quit or something.  my friends would just think that i was just too busy to return their calls.
  • scarily, i have noticed the comfort i have from having full control of what goes in my kitchen though!  i know that my refrigerator will not be contaminated animal products or by-products.  i know that the dishes in the sink are mine, and when the last time was that the sponges have been changed and sanitized.  that's nice, but i wonder if it will make me a controlling wife.  probably.  :(
  • i spend hours in the bathroom, but i can do it with the door wide open.  
  • sometimes i miss the delegation of cleaning tasks though.  sometimes i wonder how much a cleaning lady would charge to clean such a small space.  it's hard to to find the time to do some things.
  • i have found comfort in knowing that i will only be awakened by myself, and not the chatter of others getting ready.  
  •  i have also realized my degree of careless.  it's not incredibly high, but it is scary to come home and see the oven on, or the back door ajar.  and have no one to blame for such neglect
  •  but when it comes down to it, i truly love the time i have to be by myself.  after working so hard it's nice to be in solitude.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...