Thursday, October 14, 2010

random kindness and generosity

life is full of amazing surprises...

just when you think you have things planned and mapped out, a wrench is thrown into your plans. yesterday i had a plan to go explore a new neighborhood, and literally mapped out my day by routes.

i wake up bright and early, to sounds of a critter that i believe has found a home in my radiator, or somewhere in the wall?   chris comes over not feeling well, i make him tea. we call the maintenance people, the never come.  i decide that this will not stop me!   and leaving chris to a nap, set out to go explore... i get as far as the station and realize my metrocard is gone! i am livid, disappointed and i just feel sad.

it's a week pass, and it was only the 4th day into the week!  mta only reimburses lost biweekly and monthly passes.  i have a melt down, like a 2 year old because i am really trying to stay on the tightest of budgets.  my sweet fiance (who is not feeling well)  tries to make me feel better by taking me to lunch.  it is about 1:30, and we are overwhelmed and hungry. we set out to the mexican restaurant in my neighborhood, it doesn't open until 4:30... and neither do any of the other restaurants in the area.  so we walk through prospect park, not really knowing where we'll end up.

as we walk through park slope and by the brownstones, crunching leaves under our feet, the sun shining brightly, but not enough to make me wish i'd brought my sunglasses, i realize that this day has turned out perfectly.  we talk about things we've never discussed.  we eat mr. falafel ( in depth falafel review to come) and have the most amazing vegan butter pecan ice cream at the v spot!

and the icing on the cake came today!  i am standing at the metrocard dispenser machine digging in my purse for my wallet, when a man comes over to me and says "you want me to swipe you in for free?"  i was skeptical, but he walked over to the turnstile, swiped his card, and i went through.  and then he just walked away.   i was amazed at his kindness, and reminded of just how much God is always taking care of me!  I will be passing that on.

No comments: